Re: What smokes should I use? Not sentrol, right?

Robert L Bass <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Some years ago one of the other old-timers in this newsgroup
>expressed concern about 2-wire smokes remaining compatible with
>future control panels.  However, almost all new panel models now
>support 2-wire.  It appears that his concerns were unfounded.

A word on UL Compatibility from an 'old timer'

Lets set the record straight Robert, legally speaking, you
can not hang a 2-wire smoke detector off a panel unless it is UL
Listed for that panel.  If you are wiring somebody else's house, I
would definitely look into the UL Compatibility listings before
connecting any 2-wire smoke detector.  4-wire smoke
detectors or "contact devices" don't need to be UL Compatible.

If you are wiring your own house, this may or may not be an issue.
However, should there be a fire and your detectors do not respond,
you'll have 'no leg to stand on' in court.

Rick