Tech question - interface between receiver and central station software

I work in a central station and know our receiver (Fratech FE100 I
believe) which goes to a receiver computer running software called
Telemate which shows basic information (client, zone/user, type etc).
>From there I assume it connects to one of our main central station PC's
running Patriot (www.patriot.co.nz)

I understand how to read the raw data e.g. from Contact ID panels, but
was just wondering how this was communicated to the central station PC,
probably by serial cable.

The reason I'm asking is I'm toying with the idea of writing a simple
monitoring app of my own.  And the only thing I can't seem to find any
information on is how a program can communicate with, and receive info
from the receiver.

If anyone has any info or links, it would be gratefully received.  Just
curious. :-)