Re: Tech question - interface between receiver and central station software

bewareofcabbage@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I work in a central station and know our receiver (Fratech FE100 I
> believe) which goes to a receiver computer running software called
> Telemate which shows basic information (client, zone/user, type etc).
> >From there I assume it connects to one of our main central station PC's
> running Patriot (www.patriot.co.nz)
>
> I understand how to read the raw data e.g. from Contact ID panels, but
> was just wondering how this was communicated to the central station PC,
> probably by serial cable.
>
> The reason I'm asking is I'm toying with the idea of writing a simple
> monitoring app of my own.  And the only thing I can't seem to find any
> information on is how a program can communicate with, and receive info
> from the receiver.
>
> If anyone has any info or links, it would be gratefully received.  Just
> curious. :-)

I can't answer your question, but if you look in the back of some of
the trade magazines, someone is always advertising programs that will
allow a computer to act as a central station receiver. Other than that,
I'd say, those programs can't be very comprehensive and digital
receivers have been around for a long, long time and computers can do
lots and lots of stuff nowdays. If it were that easy to do, someone
would have done it already and central stations wouldn't be paying
thousands of dollars for new digital receivers.

Just and observation.