CPI Security?

I applied two weeks ago to have CPI Security come out to my house and install
one of their burglar alarm systems.  They have a base system that they'll
install for free but then they snag you with add-ons to run up the bill.  I
needed about $240 worth for which I wrote them a check.

They ran a credit check on me (mine is excellent).  They ran an apparent title
search on the house, which I had claimed to own to cut through the red tape
given to renters.  Well, OK, you got me there... I came clean and gave them the
homeowner's name and phone number.

I've been living in the same house for almost 20 years and have an excellent
rapport with my landlord.  I was certain he'd have no problem with the
installation and as it turned out, he didn't.  But CPI insisted on running HIS
credit; even though the service contract would be with me.

Now I have a FICO score just shy of 800; I have no idea what my landlord's is.
I do know he's a professional engineer in the employ of the city and has lived
here for at least 30 years... hardly a fly by night type of guy.  A family man.

Well, since my landlord doesn't see any reason to give permission to run his
credit, the installation has come to a halt.  I can't say I blame him.  What in
the hell business is it of CPI to investigate his credit... since the service
contract will be with ME?  I can prepay if it comes to that.  Money is not the
issue.  I just want the protection.  My landlord wants to protect his privacy.

Am I being unreasonable?  I'm at the point of asking for my money back (the
check cleared several days ago).

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mschnerd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx