Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

"Peter Taylor" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > "Peter Taylor" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> >> In any case, thanks to
> >> tax-payers' meanness, most students haven't got two halfpennies to rub
> >> together let alone buy anything photo-electric!
> >
> > Taxpayer's meanness?? Aren't you in the UK, and if so, aren't your
people
> > already taxed up the wazoo?
> > js
>
> Yes I'm in UK and no, I don't believe we're taxed "up to the wazoo" -
three
> quarters of the population is spending way too much on themselves while
the
> government feels it needs to keep taxes and public spending/borrowing at a
> minimum for political and economic reasons.  As a result, public services
> here are mostly run on a shoestring and staff morale is non-existent.  It
> shames us in my view.  When you think back to what we used to have, in
some
> ways it seems our public services here are now more akin to a 3rd world
> country - for example we've closed thousands of hospitals, schools, fire
> stations and post offices for economic reasons.
>
> Students in UK universities now have to pay a large fee for their tuition
as
> well as paying for their board and lodging, and most are finishing their
> courses with a gigantic debt to repay.  I just think, in one of the
richest
> countries in the world, this is an absolute disgrace.  We should be less
> mean and selfish, and understand the need to invest more in our future.
I'd
> gladly pay another few pence in the £ in tax if I could rely on the
> government spending it wisely and allowing me to feel proud of my country
> again.

I see what you mean, but I don't agree with you. I think that people should
do more for themselves, and not depend on the government so much. It doesn't
seem unreasonable to me for someone to have to pay for a university
education, room, and board. I also think that if one earns his living, he
should be able to "spend way too much on himself" if he so chooses. If you
think that the government will ever spend our money wisely, you are
hopelessly mistaken.
js