Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

"alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "Peter Taylor" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Peter Taylor" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> > Taxpayer's meanness?? Aren't you in the UK, and if so, aren't your
> people
>> > already taxed up the wazoo?
>> > js
>>
>> Yes I'm in UK and no, I don't believe we're taxed "up to the wazoo" -
> three
>> quarters of the population is spending way too much on themselves while
> the
>> government feels it needs to keep taxes and public spending/borrowing at
>> minimum for political and economic reasons.  As a result, public services
>> here are mostly run on a shoestring and staff morale is non-existent.  It
>> shames us in my view.  When you think back to what we used to have, in
> some
>> ways it seems our public services here are now more akin to a 3rd world
>> country - for example we've closed thousands of hospitals, schools, fire
>> stations and post offices for economic reasons.
>>
>> Students in UK universities now have to pay a large fee for their tuition
> as
>> well as paying for their board and lodging, and most are finishing their
>> courses with a gigantic debt to repay.  I just think, in one of the
> richest
>> countries in the world, this is an absolute disgrace.  We should be less
>> mean and selfish, and understand the need to invest more in our future.
> I'd
>> gladly pay another few pence in the £ in tax if I could rely on the
>> government spending it wisely and allowing me to feel proud of my country
>> again.
>
> I see what you mean, but I don't agree with you. I think that people
> should
> do more for themselves, and not depend on the government so much.

> It doesn't seem unreasonable to me for someone to have to pay for a
> university
> education, room, and board.  I also think that if one earns his living, he
> should be able to "spend way too much on himself" if he so chooses.
> If you think that the government will ever spend our money wisely, you are
> hopelessly mistaken.
> js

Please read what I said more carefully - I don't think I'm mistaken.  We
live in different places, with very different culture, history and outlook.
What seems reasonable to you appears mean, selfish and very short-sighted to
me.  And I want to feel proud that this country gives support and
opportunity to all who are less than fortunate, which you probably translate
into being akin to communism!  I don't think we'll ever be able to agree, in
fact I can see an argument brewing, so I'm not going to get into a pointless
discussion about it, sorry.

Peter