Re: How do I block a (mains) smoke alarm (so my steam cleaner doesn't trigger it)

"alarman" <alarman2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "Peter Taylor" <not@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> In any case, thanks to
>> tax-payers' meanness, most students haven't got two halfpennies to rub
>> together let alone buy anything photo-electric!
>
> Taxpayer's meanness?? Aren't you in the UK, and if so, aren't your people
> already taxed up the wazoo?
> js

Yes I'm in UK and no, I don't believe we're taxed "up to the wazoo" - three
quarters of the population is spending way too much on themselves while the
government feels it needs to keep taxes and public spending/borrowing at a
minimum for political and economic reasons.  As a result, public services
here are mostly run on a shoestring and staff morale is non-existent.  It
shames us in my view.  When you think back to what we used to have, in some
ways it seems our public services here are now more akin to a 3rd world
country - for example we've closed thousands of hospitals, schools, fire
stations and post offices for economic reasons.

Students in UK universities now have to pay a large fee for their tuition as
well as paying for their board and lodging, and most are finishing their
courses with a gigantic debt to repay.  I just think, in one of the richest
countries in the world, this is an absolute disgrace.  We should be less
mean and selfish, and understand the need to invest more in our future.  I'd
gladly pay another few pence in the £ in tax if I could rely on the
government spending it wisely and allowing me to feel proud of my country
again.

Peter