Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

BIOSMonkey wrote:
> I would like to install about 4 cameras around my house, not necessarily for
> security but to see who's at the front door, monitor the kid's playground, etc.
>
> My plan is to install these cameras, run them to the equipment room under the
> stairs in my basement, then get channel modulators to insert them into my cable
> system (or maybe run them into a quad generator to create one channel).
>
> Without knowing yet what kind of cameras I will get, what wiring should I run?
> Just a coax and 2 conductor power?  For cameras with other features, such as
> motion trigger, or audio, do I need more conductors?

RG-59U, Some Cat 5, and a two or four conductor 18AWG will just about
cover everything that's out there.

> Also I am at a loss to figure out how to easily fish these wires through my
> outside walls to the basement.  Obviously I want them to be hidden and
> inaccessible to someone with wire cutters, but I don't see how I can run them
> down inside the siding with the boards and insulation on the other side.  How do
> you guys do it?

That part I like...  We use a chain saw.  We rip a wire way channel down
the inside wall (make sure you wear a good quality dust mask and
protective clothing to avoid injury from flying splinters, odd bits of
nail and insulation).  It's also a good idea to use a well insulated
chainsaw in case you hit a live 110 or 220 VAC wire.  Lay your wire in
the channel you've just created and staple it all down.  Stuff some
insulation on top, and nail on a thin strip of drywall.  Don't forget to
tell you wife that you're leaving it like this so that you can open the
wireway anytime you need to service it.

Seriously, you'll need to get yourself some basic tools as well as some
more specialized ones like a 6 foot flex-bit, and a good quality fish
tape.  Judging from your comments you have good access to the basement
(that it's largely unfinished).  Drilling or fishing down an outside
wall is never easy, but is possible.  You have to be careful about
displacing insulation or damaging the vapour barrier.  A fire-stop can
make what looks like an "easy run" a tad more difficult too.
Maintaining separation from higher voltage AC wiring also has to be
considered.  Sometimes it's easier to go "up" into the attic and then
down an inside wall to the basement.  Without actually seeing what you
want to do or the way your home is constructed, it would be difficult to
comment on which technique is going to work best.  If you've never done
this before, it would probably be a lot easier (and wiser) to have a
"Pro" run the wire for you.  He'll have all the gear necessary.  You'll
have to pay out some bucks but you'll have fewer headaches.