Re: Running wire for security cameras, and tips on fishing wire?

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:04:12 GMT, Frank Olson
<Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>That part I like...  We use a chain saw.  We rip a wire way channel down
>the inside wall (make sure you wear a good quality dust mask and
>protective clothing to avoid injury from flying splinters, odd bits of
>nail and insulation).  It's also a good idea to use a well insulated
>chainsaw in case you hit a live 110 or 220 VAC wire.  Lay your wire in
>the channel you've just created and staple it all down.  Stuff some
>insulation on top, and nail on a thin strip of drywall.  Don't forget to
>tell you wife that you're leaving it like this so that you can open the
>wireway anytime you need to service it.
>
>Seriously, you'll need to get yourself some basic tools as well as some
>more specialized ones like a 6 foot flex-bit, and a good quality fish
>tape.  Judging from your comments you have good access to the basement
>(that it's largely unfinished).  Drilling or fishing down an outside
>wall is never easy, but is possible.  You have to be careful about
>displacing insulation or damaging the vapour barrier.  A fire-stop can
>make what looks like an "easy run" a tad more difficult too.
>Maintaining separation from higher voltage AC wiring also has to be
>considered.  Sometimes it's easier to go "up" into the attic and then
>down an inside wall to the basement.  Without actually seeing what you
>want to do or the way your home is constructed, it would be difficult to
>comment on which technique is going to work best.  If you've never done
>this before, it would probably be a lot easier (and wiser) to have a
>"Pro" run the wire for you.  He'll have all the gear necessary.  You'll
>have to pay out some bucks but you'll have fewer headaches.

Thanks everyone.

I do have the tools, and I do have a couple of 6 foot flexbits.  I have run many
wires down walls, for satellite, network, phone, etc.  But I am just a 'handy'
DIYer, not a pro.

The fact that I have experienced fishing down insulated walls is what bothers
me, and  especially damaging vapor barrier as you said.  Generally what I have
done in the past is to drill straight thru a wall to the other side, and cut out
a vertical hole just large enough to get a good bend with the flex bit to
continue down.  That's a pain since I have to patch the drywall later and paint
it again, which won't be easy since I have a patterned design.  But at least
it's paint and not some intricate wallpaper I guess.

I am a little puzzled with the chain saw idea!  You mean you use a chain saw
inside the home to cut the channel?  How do you control depth???

I had considered cutting a shallow wireway into drywall for other projects
(remote controlled blinds) and just mud over it.  I never got to do it, but it
would seem like a rotozip with the router attachment and a wide, straight router
bit would give good control and constant channel depth.  You could also run it
down the side of a metal guide (the kind that clamps to sheet goods for the circ
saw) to make a nice straight line.   Or better yet run it along a window or door
using the trim as a guide to keep the channel away from potential nails.

On the other hand, I'd be a little afraid cutting a channel like this and
mudding it might just create a joint in the wall that will crack during temp
changes!  I guess taping would help...

Anyway, I was just hunting for some tips in case there was something I was
missing.

Thanks again.