Re: Remote install, no AC

Crash,

I had done this with a old Moose Z-950 that was being powered by a deep
cycle battery that was charged by a single solar panel.  The solar panel was
attached to a special charger for the application.  Because of the fact that
this was installed in northern Pennsylvania the solar panel was about
18"x18" in size.  At this latitude and weather patterns only so many solar
days/hours are available to maintain a good charge.  Panel needs to be a
proper angle (28 degrees as I remember) and facing south(of course).  All
worked well for about 4 years then the battery finally shorted or something.
It had to be replaced.  The second battery died just this past month(about 4
years of service).  Because I was convinced (by others) that it was best to
keep the charge cables as short as possible, I placed the battery in an
enclosure on an outside wall with the solar panel directly above.  Then ran
the power wire inside to the panel.  I think that part of the death to the
battery was due to the cold temps in the winter.  Be advised to try some
other plan.  You may also need to consider a charged lead/acid battery gives
off hydrogen gas when charging, so ventilation is important.

The Z-950 had a positive lead connected to a ac terminal, so the panel never
cared about he missing ac power.  Since the Z-950 (not to mention many other
parts) were hit by a direct lightning bolt 2 years ago it was necessary to
install a new panel.  The panel that I chose was the Caddx NX-6 did the same
trick and all was ok.  Had to turn off ac trouble and reporting but
otherwise works just fine.

Hope the above was too much information and that you could pull out what you
need to continue life.  BTW I think I remember that the Ademco products will
work but will always show the ac trouble.

Good luck and keep the lurkers up to date on progress and successes.
(failures with fixes would be nice to know as well).

Les(back to lurking)