Re: electrifing windows for security

gevetri wrote:
> My house has been broken into a number of times.  (Not in the US)  I
> want to electrify a window to deter  thieves.  Anyone know of any
> suppliers of equipment for this type of application?  I have burglar
> bars and gates on all windows and doors but have one that I refuse to
> mess with because of the view (great sunsets in the Caribbean).  How do
> I go about this and are there readily available transformers, etc. that
> I can use?

Replace the glass with some that has that thin wire mesh in it.  The
kind that's used in some fire separation doors.  If you can somehow
manage to hook one of those electric fence controllers to the grid,
anyone breaking the glass will get a real "charge" out of it.  The
wire's so fine I doubt it'll interfere with your enjoyment of the view.
  To be sure, buy yourself a small sample about two feet square and take
it down the next time you visit.  Hold it up in front of the window and
see what it's like.