Re: electrifing windows for security

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:59:57 GMT, Frank Olson
<Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>gevetri wrote:
>> My house has been broken into a number of times.  (Not in the US)  I
>> want to electrify a window to deter  thieves.  Anyone know of any
>> suppliers of equipment for this type of application?  I have burglar
>> bars and gates on all windows and doors but have one that I refuse to
>> mess with because of the view (great sunsets in the Caribbean).  How do
>> I go about this and are there readily available transformers, etc. that
>> I can use?

A good fence charger should do the job.   Some models have alarms to
deter crooks with wire cutters.   If you are paranoid about liability
(and I would be), I would post warning signs, install motion detector
lights, etc.

Also, consider a battery backup in case your power fails.   I'm told
that some neighborhoods in South Africa have houses with electric
fences that make their buildings look like prisons because of
potential violence in the streets.

Electrical barrier-type deterents work.   The famous Morice Line set
up in the desert by the French was charge with 5000 volts and kept the
insurgents contained during the Algerian War during the late 50's
early 60's.   The voltage was set to kill and many wild dogs got
caught in the fence and were electrocuted. The insurgents tried
everything to defeat it including using ladders and special insulated
wire cutters, but nothing really worked.   Of course, it was backed up
by patrols and helicopter forces.

If the USA is serious about detering illegal immegration from Mexico,
this is the type of fence barrier that needs to be erected on the
border.

Beachcomber