Re: Rogers dropping usenet

I opted out of cable Internet because the service isn't as good for
VoIP.  Unfortunately, I selected Verizon DSL.  They're a royal pain to
deal with.  As soon as it's convenient I plan to switch to another
provider.  It took over two weeks to get set up and still another week
to get problems straightened out.

The DSL service itself is OK as long as you select a high enough speed.
 I get fairly consistent download speeds of ~2.8mB and about 700kB
upload, which is plenty for the VoIP system.  I'm told it will be
enough to handle my network, several on premises VoIP stations and an
Asterisk box which we'll probably add next year.

BTW, speaking of VoIP, I've been testing Polycom's SoundPoint IP 501
phones and they're really terrific.  We can transfer calls between
stations on and off premises, even across international borders as
easily as between stations in my home / office.

Notwithstanding opposition from the alarm industry, I expect that VoIP
will pretty much obsolesce POTS lines in the next five to ten years.
Much as you may not like it, this is what's coming for telephone
service.  Those who adapt to the new technology will fare much better
than those who insist on staying with the old methods.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com