Re: UL Required to get License

Norm Mugford said:

>Mr. Bass....You might want to check the UL central station
>you recommend to all your DIY residential customers, the one
>that's on your web-sites.
>They're not UL listed for residential.....They only have a UUFX
>listing, that's not residential my friend.....CVSU is Residential
>Monitoring.

Norm, I'm afraid you don't understand how these UL listings work.

A UUFX central station listing is perfectly all right for monitoring
residential systems.  First of all, there are only a handful of
certificated residential alarm systems in the country.  Second, the listing
guide will tell you that any UL 827 central station can monitor residential
systems.  Third, UL could care less about the central station unless a UL
certificate is involved, or the central station is paying for a UL listing.

It would be pretty silly of UL to say that a central station is okay to
monitor commercial fire alarms, but not okay to monitor somebody's house.
UL is strange sometimes, but not that silly.

For commercial fire alarm systems, UL listing of the central station is
indeed an issue.  NFPA requires central stations to meet UL 827 if they are
going to provide central station fire alarm service.  And it's up to the
AHJ to approve a central station that is providing remote supervising
station service, which pretty much means the central station needs to meet
UL 827.

So, the UUFX listing is the one to have.  There's no need to have the CVSU
listing as well.

- badenov