Re: UL Required to get License

"Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:k1nlf.3946$cA2.555@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Testing and inspecting needs licensing and the real catch was that, it was
> for compensation under a contract. This puts UL into the contracting
> business no matter how one might twist and turn it. Something Robert could
> never get through his head. UL tried to say what they were doing was
> having
> the fire inspector test/inspect the system. Records showed the fire
> department was usually not always present. Even if the fire department was
> the ones doing the testing/inspecting, the law says "by or through
> others".
> When they didn't win that argument, they tried to tell the state that what
> they were doing was an audit. To late, the state said they can call it
> what
> ever they want to call it, they are charging money under a contract to do
> it, so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and they are
> collecting money to do it, they need a license.
>
> <mbbaker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Gotcha.  It's common to see licensing required of persons testing but
>> not for those inspecting.  Apparently Florida requires licensing for
>> either.

Here's the Webster's definition of "audit"

Main Entry: 1au·dit
Pronunciation: 'o-d&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin auditus act of hearing, from audire
1 a : a formal examination of an organization's or individual's accounts or
financial situation b : the final report of an audit
2 : a methodical examination and review

I don't see "test fire alarm system" anywhere in there, do you?

Here's Webster's definition of "test"

Main Entry: 2test
Function: verb
transitive senses
1 : to put to test or proof : TRY
2 : to require a doctrinal oath of
intransitive senses
1 a : to undergo a test b : to be assigned a standing or evaluation on the
basis of tests <tested positive for cocaine> <the cake tested done>
2 : to apply a test as a means of analysis or diagnosis -- used with for
<test for mechanical aptitude>
- test·abil·i·ty  /"tes-t&-'bi-l&-tE/ noun
- test·able  /'tes-t&-b&l/ adjective
- test the waters also test the water : to make a preliminary test or survey
(as of reaction or interest) before embarking on a course of action

See where it says "to be assigned a standing or evaluation on the basis of
tests"
Sounds to me, UL is evaluating the UL standard by testing, not auditing.

Yup...It's a duck.......

begin 666 audio.gif
3IT[I>K9=C)*R![L8J&4S.T4`.P``
`