Re: Webcam vs. composite Camera

Web cams, nope, Network and Comp cams, yes ....also, you can buy a 4
port PCI capture card for as low as $10 these days, its the software
that does the real work. I use DVRs with 720x480, and some with
hardware compression, and also cameras well over the quality that the
DVR can handle, including Infrared cameras from Extreme CCTV. (They can
see in pitch dark over 500-1000' without additional lighting). I write
DVR software for a brand I cant mention here.

Something also worth taking a look at is the Covi camera:
http://www.covitechnologies.com

Cheapest would be a 4 channel AvTech Stand alone DVR, or PowerTelecomm
4 Channel DVR, and 4 bullet or dome cameras. Which cameras you buy will
depend on what the image looks like though.

The PowerTellecom R4000 has great video quality and the client software
is a self executable, while the AvTech is better for browser based -
both in the budget line. And both have great crisp local quality.

Basically you cant build a PC for not even close to the cost of these
2 RTOS embedded Stand Alone DVRs.

Im talking under $200 for these DVRs dealer cost, little more retail.
And they never crash, i have both hooked up here and have tested them
to the max for months now, they just work.

PC software based DVR's/Systems will obviously give you many more
features though.

For more info check out www.cctvforum.com