Webcam vs. composite Camera

Anyone can vouch for the quality between Webcam vs. composite feed camera?

I'm in the initial planning stage of a Linux-PC-based PVR and need to
roll out additional cameras.

The cost effectiveness of extended a USB webcam using a pair of
USB-serial-Ethernet convertors/adaptors doesn't seem worth the while
(not to mention the possible subpar quality).  These convertors/adaptors
enable extending the distance to 300m for Ethernet CAT-5e cabling.  The
plus side is that USB is relatively easy to add to most existing PC
platform.

The composite cameras seems to have higher resolutions but requires a
composite adapter PCI/USB card.  Those cards are about the same price as
a pair of those USB-serial-Ethernet convertor/adaptor.

I haven't seen the "convergence" or sweet spots yet, perhaps someone
else has.