Re: Webcam vs. composite Camera

cctvbahamas@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> "X-No-Archive"
>
> Depends what type of CCTV camera you are talking about. If you use a
> $30 CMOS bullet camera the web cam may look better! But depends what
> Webcam you are talking about also, and also the software you will be
> using. PC based Windows DVR software programs are generally much more
> feature rich than Linux or IP programs. Lux Riot is the only decent IP
> one Ive used worth talking about, for IP/NVR, etc. and ive tried them
> all while testing some capture cards.

I guess, the issue now boils down to the cheapest system aggregation of
video streams (composite, USB or IP), that scales for up to 4 or 5 cameras.

1.  single-input composite capture card is pricey
2.  USB capture is reaching $80 or lower
3.  IP camera is pricey

Hence, I was looking at lower overall cost and yet somehow keep the quality.

Perhaps, some matrix math or spreadsheet is in order for me...

> Now if you are talking about a simple web cam like a logitech, etc,
> then yeah most CCTV cameras (CCD) will be 100% better, as they are
> designed for Video Surveillance. Panasonic makes some decent Ip cameras
> but looks like you are talking about USB so i imagine that means the
> cheap web cams?

I'd imagine there are some Webcam with higher resolutions than 640x480.
 Maybe something like 1024x800 or so...