Re: rant: clients

Crash Gordon wrote:
> <rant>

<snip

> </rant>
>
> Sorry, just had to unload this one or it'd bother me all night.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. As a matter of fact there
are times that I often have to repeat it to myself. It does help me
make decisions on who to deal with and who not to ....... though.

It's better to not have a customer than to have one who doesn't pay.

The time you wasted with this guy after the first attempt could have
been better spent working for someone who DOES pay .....

Or Spent on:
Doing an estimate for a new client.
Paying your bills.
Looking for new products.
Picking up parts for the next job.
Calling a customer who's had a recent problem.
Taking the van for an oil change.
Cleaning out the van.

All of which are productive, enhance your income, give you a sense of
accomplisment and DON'T tend to piss you off.

I have to say however, that there WERE times when I HAD to take this
kind of conduct, when I was first starting out. I'd guess that's
(kinda) understandable. But at this point, there's just too much work
there, from people who are MORE than willing to pay, and to wait for me
to give them what they want. Obviously, getting work by good strong
referrals in essential. However, it is exactly that, that you will
strengthen by doing business with only those people who value what you
do. The guy that wants you to do it cheap, is the guy you'll NEVER get
a referral from.

(From the annals of Jim the Philosopher of the Alarm trade :-)