Re: Internet Microphone?

In article <2rc136p3qs72jrp7ifj25v28d54lbrdogv@xxxxxxx>,
 "Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, but I think you've totally missed the point.  I don't want to know if
> there's no power - I only want to know whether my generator started on
> schedule to run its weekly automatic exercise.  And as I have dual-WAN
> Internet connections, why would I even consider using a telephone call?
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Tony
>
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:46:52 -0400, "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What came to mind was the people with homes in the states that get freezing
> > weather.
> >
> > Sitting around the pool in Mexico one explained it to me. A simple
> > thermostat with a resistor hooked across the phone line. Thermostat set
> > about 50F degrees. Every few days they call home and the phone rings and
> > nobody answers. The thermostat contact is still open. No callcost. If the
> > line is busy the thermostat is chatting and they know to call a neighbour
> > investigate. Contact closed... jouse below 50F.
> >
> > It's simple and the concept should be able to work, somehow for your
> > situation. Possibly a 120vac relay with a N.C. contact and resistor on the
> > phone line. No ISP charges required. You dial it from time to time
> > (possible
> > computer modem auto?) and if the phone rings you have AC power, no long
> > distance fees.

Connect a N.O. relay to the generator output _before_ the transfer
switch. If the phone rings, the generator is not running.  The line
should be busy durning the generator test period.  As for considering a
telephone call, it incurs no charges and requires nothing more than a
[cell] phone [with available service].

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF