Re: Internet Microphone?

What came to mind was the people with homes in the states that get freezing
weather.

Sitting around the pool in Mexico one explained it to me. A simple
thermostat with a resistor hooked across the phone line. Thermostat set
about 50F degrees. Every few days they call home and the phone rings and
nobody answers. The thermostat contact is still open. No callcost. If the
line is busy the thermostat is chatting and they know to call a neighbour to
investigate. Contact closed... jouse below 50F.

It's simple and the concept should be able to work, somehow for your
situation. Possibly a 120vac relay with a N.C. contact and resistor on the
phone line. No ISP charges required. You dial it from time to time (possible
computer modem auto?) and if the phone rings you have AC power, no long
distance fees.

This doesn't give the the sound but you know there is power and much cheaper
than a dial up or constant IP address charge for ISP Internet charges into
your generator all year long. Not to mention the IP webcam costs.

"Anthony R. Gold" <not-for-mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for the comments but, just to be clearer, this is a real seasonal
home
served by dual WAN IP service (DSL and Cable) and I have no need for
anything
to dial out.  I just want to be able listen-in at the time of the
generator's
automatic weekly 12 minute "exercise" (from around 1:55pm until 2:07pm EDT
each Friday) to be reassured that the device is in good order and so will be
able to kick itself into service if and when the utility power fails.  If I
found that the generator did not run on its schedule then I would be able to
call the local service technician to visit the site and investigate.

My likely monitoring place is around 4,000 miles away, as the bytes fly.

Tony