Re: Contact closure

<bogusexception> wrote:

> How can I convert a contact closure into a signal that a running program can
> use?

Here's one of several products that you could use to make the connection
between a dry contact and your PC.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/GV-netiocard_V3-1.htm

That said, you might want to consider an alternate approach if the overall
system is to be responsible for the security of the property.  There are
simple to install alarms, both wired and wireless, which can provide security
and/or varying degrees of lighting and automation control available for DIY.
Models like Napco's P9600 and P3200 systems can include an RS-232 port with
real-time status reports to the PC.

I'm a bit biased in this area since I sell Napco, but they do make reliable
systems.  ELK Products and a few others also offer ways to integrate their
systems with a PC.  Elk is pricier than Napco but it's a full-blown home
automation system whereas Napco is an alarm with HA integration options.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics