Re: Contact closure

Pete/All,

Thanks for writing.

Here is what things look like so far (as good as text can do)...

Attic:

Wall timer 1 (~$5)
- Applies power to motion sensor (below) during desired hours of
operation)

Motion sensor (standard driveway type (~$11))
- Senses motion up in the attic through vents
- Provides 120vac when "tripped"

120vac DPDT relay (~$2)
- Uses 120vac from motion sensor above to provide contact closure

Cat 5 cable to basement (one pair soldered to relay above, carrying no
voltage contact closure to basement)
- I could use the other 3 pairs in a similar fashion in future

Basement:

USB Joystick ($7)
- Torn apart to solder the Cat 5 pair above to one of the buttons'
contacts

Computer
- Existing Win 2003 Server box acting as file and VM server for home
data center
- Hosts a V.NET application
- Has audio/line out hooked up to Crown D-150A II (150watts/channel
boat anchor), with attentuation adjustments on front of chassis

VB.NET application
- Will be monitoring the USB joystick for signal that is recognized as
a button press, which is really contact closure from the attic via the
Cat 5 above.
- Brings up and down the audio level so the chosen tone(s) is/are
brought up and down very slowly. The idea is to be covert and not
overt.
- Can choose random MP3s (created with various tone/signal generators
(like Visual Analyzer) randomly, based on time of day, on demand, etc.

Wall timer 2
- Powers up the Crown audio amplifier during desired hours of
operation (too expensive otherwise)
- Acts as a second assurance that tones not generated outside desired
time of day range

Audio amplifier (25 years old) Crown D-150A II
- The definition of overkill-you can weld with this thing
- Takes audio in from computer, attentuates it per knobs on front, and
supplies speaker output

Speaker wire
- Run up to the basement, where the speakers are

Attic (again):

Capacitors
- At and under 1uf to act as both tweeter protection and provide HPF

Speakers (4 various for ~$10)
- 50w capacity and higher, avoiding accidental damage
- Various directional and unidirectional designs
- Soldered together in series/parallel (lower ohms =3D higher
capacitance needed for HPF)

Monitoring:

IR Camera ($250) IP wireless w/pan/tilt on first floor
- Have already placed a similarly shaped/colored object where camera
will be, as it will be visible
- IP wireless will be available in basement control center

Microphone (headset?)
- Will need to stick a microphone outside to hook up to the PC
spectrum analyzer
- Will provide relative level measurements (signal to ambient)
- Used to determine how loud signals are when detected, using this
threshold to work under

I think that is it.

I want to experiment with varying/cycling tone frequency and
intensity, as well as combining frequencies close to each other and
their harmonics. Unlike my laptop's amplifier (10% THD), the Crown is
at 0.001% THD, which means there will be no unwanted lower harmonics
giving the device/system away.

So there you have it!

:)