Re: CFL question - dimming CFLs any good with X-10 dimmers ?

capww8 had written this in response to
http://forums.cabling-design.com/automation/CFL-question-dimming-CFLs-any-good-with-X-10-dimmers-2193-.htm
 :
Pico,

Generally, even "dimmable" CFL's are going to be a PITA with electronic
dimmers. Lighting levels along their dimming ramp are unpredictable, and
it will decrease the life of the bulb. There are electronic dimmers
available for LED spots, and other ELEV lighting, but it's the X-10
component of your post that worries me.

I don't think there's any place for X-10 any longer integrated systems,
it's far too glitchy. You want to be looking at a zigbee or z-wave based
automation system. Otherwise, you're going to be beating your head against
the wall dealing with customer service issues.

-------------------------------------
Pico wrote:

> Well as the title says, I am curious if there are any glitches using the
> Dimmable CFLs with X-10 or Smarthome modules.   I don't need dimming
> but I
> don't want to replace all my wall dimmers with wall mounted relays.

> Anyone found a good brand of CFL twists that are dimmable ?  Sylvania
> make a
> couple but I think they are spots.

|            http://forums.cabling-design.com/             |
|              *** a better way to USENET ***              |
| no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |
|    alt.home.automation - 1762 messages and counting!     |