Re: Current mid-range technology?

In article
<f847316d-6300-4421-8a14-6ea5f9cd09da@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Russ in San Diego <russgoog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 10:29 am, nob...@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote:
> > Russ in San Diego <russg...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >I was describing some of my X-10 setup (installed many years ago, when
> > >X10.com was heavily promoting the stuff, and you could get tons of it
> > >REALLY cheap) to a contractor friend.  He seemed very interested in
> > >knowing about it for other customers.  I warned him that he probably
> > >ought to stay away from selling X-10 to customers, because it's so
> > >dicey and unreliable.  I'm ok with it for my usage, but I wouldn't
> > >feel comfortable recommending it to a non-hobbyist who can't handle
> > >the fussiness and frustration.
> >
> > >Any recommendations as to what's a reasonably priced and reasonably
> > >reliable equivalent technology these days?  Is Insteon significantly
> > >better than X-10?  What else is out there?
> >
> > Insteon reliability is good but it's pricey compared to X10 (and it seems to
> > be a bmoving target with new devices being introduced to 'fix' earlier
> > flaws. You should also look at UPB (again, pricey) and ZWave (I'm not
> > impressed). You should also be aware of Jeff Volp's XTB devices - I haven't
> > kept up with revisions - they boost X10 signals to about 25-30Vpp which most
> > who've tried it say makes X10 nearly 100% reliable.
>
> Thanks for the summary!  I hadn't been aware of the XTB stuff, and it
> looks pretty handy for my purposes.  I'll pass along the information
> on Insteon, UPB, and ZWave.
>
> The reason I'm reserving judgment on XTB is that, while it ought to
> ensure devices turn on or off when commanded, I don't see how it would
> help with one of the worst X10 problems, that of devices switching on
> or off when NOT commanded, i.e., after having recognized a code within
> line noise.
>
> Now, if devices required a stronger minimum signal -- that might
> mitigate the problem -- but that's not a centralizable solution such
> as that provided by the XTB-IIR..

I'm happy with UPB in a remodel I recently did, but I knew in advance to
have all the lighting circuits placed on the same phase, along with a
couple of outlets in various places for CIM access. In another house
with random wiring, I have the usual noise and opposed-phase problems. I
have tried the plug-in phase coupler (unsuccessful); I have yet to try a
breaker box phase coupler. I haven't had false commands in either
situation, just lost commands.

Powerline remains a troubled communication medium, but UPB does seem to
be way ahead of X-10.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of