Re: Survey: Home Control Software

"John J. Bengii" wrote:

> The old problem is the wall receiver switch. It ceases to work in
> the deep cold even from manual X10 controllers. I have changed it a
> few times for other units to no avail. Now that's just weird as it
> is mounted in the interior wall and should have some heat leakage
> into it. Perhaps the condensation?

It could be condensation, but don't rule out temperature problems
(which can exacerbate condensation) just because it's an inside wall.
Hollow interior walls can sometimes act as chimneys, funneling cool
air from the basement up or even from the attic down if the outside
air is windy.  One simple way to check is to remove the switch plate
on a breezy day.  Hold a candle or a smoldering wick near the opening
and see if there's any sign of air movement.

You can remedy the problem (assuming that's it) fairly easily by
squirting urethane foam into the wall cavity.  The stuff comes in
cans and is intended to block the spread of smoke and fire but it
does a neat job of insulating, too.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass