Re: Fan timer with "stay on" option

"Lacustral" <lark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:46afe52b$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Arfa Daily (arfa.daily@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>

>>I don't know whereabouts you are, but here in the UK, such an item is
>>commonly available as a shower extractor fan with a built in light
>
>>http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=25652&cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-SHOWER%20EXTRACTOR%20FAN-_-25652&ts=10039
>
>>It is hooked into the normal lighting circuit, and as long as the light is
>>on, the fan runs. When you switch off the light, the fan continues to run
>>up
>>to an adjustable time of 20 minutes
>>Arfa
>
> That's interesting.  I don't want to leave a light on when the fan is
> running, but I wasn't going to have a light hooked up to the fan anyway.
> Sounds like I could use such a switch on a fan, without a light, and
> leave the switch on if I want ventilation overnight, say.  I wouldn't care
> if, when I go turn the fan off, it keeps on running for a few minutes
> after I switch it off.
>
> Thanks.  You may have come up with a creative solution that the fan
> company tech support didn't.
>
> I live in the USA.
>
> Laura

There's no reason that you could not run this particular fitting without the
lamp installed. It employs a switch mode power supply, which doesn't care
much whether it's got the combined load of both the fan and lamp, or just
the lamp on it. I'm sure a similar unit would be available through Home
Depot or wherever.

Arfa