Re: Timer on reduced-frequency circuit

"Lacustral" <lark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSU.4.58.0707312021220.14042@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I'm thinking of using a variable speed control and a timer in series.
> Would a timer have trouble with the lowered frequency electricity from the
> speed control?  WOuld an electronic timer run OK that way?
>
> Thanks
> Laura

Firstly, a variable speed control does not affect the 'frequency' of the
supply current. It does, however, have a profound effect on the waveshape,
if it is electronic rather than passive, and this may well affect an
electronic timer's ability to work correctly, as opposed to keeping time,
which I presume is your reason for asking about frequency. If you put the
timer ahead of the speed control, there will be no such issues, as the timer
will only be fed with 'standard' line power, which it will then pass thru'
to the speed control during one of its 'on' periods.

Arfa