Re: Timer on reduced-frequency circuit

Lacustral <lark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm thinking of using a variable speed control and a timer in series.
> Would a timer have trouble with the lowered frequency electricity from the
> speed control?  WOuld an electronic timer run OK that way?

I assume you mean a common thyristor phase control, not one that actually
changes the frequency of the power, though the same comments apply.

If you mean put the timer first which plugs into a wall socket and then the
switched output of the timer goes to a variable speed control, there should
be no problem.  The timer will run off the unmodified power.

However, if it is an electronic timer that is in series with the load ONLY
then this is probably not a good idea unless the timer manufacturer
specicially states that it is permissible.

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.