Re: question about Elk M1 Gold alarm system

aerosmith wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the information. Can you tell me why
> I might require two of the motion sensors? Does one
> compliment the other or it is just for installing
> it in a second location?

Second location.  It's a good idea (depending on the size of your house)
to "split" the protection between the front and the back.  You
definitely want a motion covering any stairs to the basement or the
second floor.

> NX-480 Passive Infared Motion Detector $89.00
> NX-482 Sentrol Passive Infrared Motion Sensor ~$98.
>
> Also does the RF module easily plug into the Elk M1 system?

The RF module is wired to the Elk common control.  It's usually
recommended that you mount the unit as high in the home as you can (to
ensure maximum coverage).  I wouldn't mount the RF module inside the
common control.

> If I were to use a wired device like a door/window contact
> what kind of wire is recommended to connect the Elk system
> and the contact.

Standard 22/4 "Station Z" wire is fine.  Some use two conductor, but
that can be a pain (particularly if one wire "breaks").

There are a number of excellent online resources and dealers.  Most have
better pricing than Bass (and better service).  Here's a  good resource:

http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/buyingonline.htm

You can also have a look at:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com
http://www.norcoalarms.com
http://www.smarthome.com
http://www.wmballen.com

I would check out customer feedback (some sites have links to that) or
the BBB before you make a purchase decision.

Good luck!!