Re: question about Elk M1 Gold alarm system

"aerosmith" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1_Q3h.46551$P7.19138@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for the information. Can you tell me why
> I might require two of the motion sensors? Does one
> compliment the other or it is just for installing
> it in a second location?

Neither.  Those are just two different options.

> NX-480 Passive Infared Motion Detector $89.00
> NX-482 Sentrol Passive Infrared Motion Sensor ~$98.
>
> Also does the RF module easily plug into the Elk M1 system?
> If I were to use a wired device like a door/window contact
> what kind of wire is recommended to connect the Elk system
> and the contact.

There's a little cable that connects them together.  Most sensors (except for fire alarm stuff) are connected using ordinary 2- or
4-conductor, 22-guage wire (aka 22/2 and 22/4).  If your wire runs are exceptionally long you might use 20 guage wire but most
normal size homes are fine with 22.

Fire alarm sensors require use of cable rated for "power limited" fire alarm circuits.  Most of the time 18/2 or 18/4 fire cable is
good.

Note: Even on magnetic door and window sensors which only require 2 wires I usually use 4.  That way if a single conductor breaks
(say, froma staple gone awry), I've still got an extra pair.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics