Re: Does a home power meter-base exist which uses BlueTooth?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 08:56:42 GMT, "Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jack,
>
>I use the one from theenergydetective.com
>
>It was easy to install, I'm a DIYer. 1 clamps around each phase and hook up
>to a breaker. Install the Display box on the same side as the breaker. I
>installed it on the other phase and it didn't work correctly. Easy enough
>but an electrican shouldn't cost that much for this.
>
>I'm also waiting for the computer interface.
>--

This is a nice product to have, but given that you already know your
monthly and daily power consumption (the figures on your electric
bill), I question how much value in knowing the hourly and precise
to-the-minute cost of energy could their be (for most consumers)?

Also for appliances, you can get a good estimate of the cost per
hour's use simply from the wattage rating of the appliance, divide by
1000 and multiply by what your electric company charges per kWh.

Just how much discretion or lifestyle change is going to result in
significant energy change for most households?   OK, you can dial down
the thermostat or take fewer baths if you have an electric hot water
heater, but the fridge is still going cycle on and off every hour of
the month...  Assume you've already maxed out the savings in switching
your lighting to compact fluourescents, etc.

Beachcomber