Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

In article <j5idnR9Vjskm6ULenZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
dnoyeB  <Fake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Bruno wrote:
>> Thanks, dnoyeB - I learned two things: first - nail clippers may
>> actually be useful for Cat 5 installations! (Who would have thunked?)
>> What's next - eggbeaters :}?
>>
>> Second - you can actually BURN a network card by miswiring? What
>> particular feature of th e miswiring causes that?
>>

>Likely just an cheapo card on their part.  most electronics protects
>itself from external miswirings to some degree.  Might have been the
>oscilliscope I hooked up, I don't know.  I never burned another one
>though, so it may have just been a sensitive card.

All ethernet interfaces are isolated from any voltage on the copper up
to a couple thousand volts, either by a transformer or (ISTR) pairs of
LED diodes and sensors, but the latter may have been in the 10Mb
era. I can't see a cheap 100Mb optical sensor.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.