Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

Bruno wrote:
> Thanks, dnoyeB - I learned two things: first - nail clippers may
> actually be useful for Cat 5 installations! (Who would have thunked?)
> What's next - eggbeaters :}?
>
> Second - you can actually BURN a network card by miswiring? What
> particular feature of th e miswiring causes that?

Likely just an cheapo card on their part.  most electronics protects
itself from external miswirings to some degree.  Might have been the
oscilliscope I hooked up, I don't know.  I never burned another one
though, so it may have just been a sensitive card.

When you are punching down the wires into the connectors, you will see
small pieces of wire extended beyond the edges of the terminals.  100Mb
is pretty high frequency and those can act like antennas causing
problems if you don't snip them off.

You can get plugs and stuff from belkin.com I think.  I also order stuff
from someone called cat5cableguy.com which is very cheap.  either place
should sell punchdown tool for a few bucks.

Once its closed up in the wall, and you plug in the wire, tap the outlet
a few times with an eggbeater for good measure :P

--
Thank you,