Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 02:20:29 GMT, Herb Stein wrote:

> "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> While not optimum, I have  to disagree. The best solution, of course, is
>> to run a new cable. However, running a phone line and ethernet in the same
>> cat5 jacket should present little or no problem IF DONE CORRECTLY. I've
>> done it many times for the sake of expediency and have never had a
>> problem. I've even added 12vdc on the 4th pair and still had no problems.
>> Just make absolutely sure your connections are done properly.
>

> The whole point of TIA-568B (and A) by AT&T was to allow the
> computer network and telephone to occupy the same sheath. It might
> be "iffy" with 100 Mb or 1000Mb LAN connections, but I'd say it's
> worth a try. If it's a problem (speed, etc.)  just go wireless.

Actually I think it was for the PBX telephone system which I think is
digit not the consumer telephone which is analog. It was also at a
time of 1 M data networks with promise of 10M data networks.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site