Re: Creating a home Ethernet out of installed but unused Cat 5

"Bruno" <bruno.lerer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> The phone company has installed, throughout the house, shielded Cat 5
> cable with 4 sets of wires. One is used for phone service, while each
> of the other three is terminated with what looks like a plastic sleeve
> imprinted Dolphin (just in case it makes a difference...).
>
> I have a wi-fi broadband router on the second floor (physically
> connected to two computers); I also have another computer in the ground
> floor den which is currently wirelessly networked with the others. The
> phone company's breakout box is in the basement, naturally.
>
> For various reasons, I would like to physically network the first floor
> computer.  Ideally, I would like to install in the router room a wall
> plate with an RJ45 jack, with a patch cord connecting to the router.
> Currently, the Cat 5 terminates in a standard RJ11 jack.  The same
> would go for the ground floor den; there, however, the Cat 5 terminates
> in a wall plate with a coax F-type jack at the top and a standard RJ11
> at the bottom.
>
> So that's the question - how do I approach a project like this? In
> particular, how do I go about making sure that, while I go two floors
> down and then one floor up, I am still connecting  the same set of
> wires to the appropriate terminals in the router room, the breakout box
> and the den? What type of tools would I need to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks.

Just to be clear, TELCO and ETHERNET in the same cable can be problematic.
I have tried it and the results have been poor.

VERIFY the pairs everywhere. Especially at the outside terminal block.

The devil is in the terminations. I have seen poor terminations take a CAT 5
down so low it was worthless.

Black Box has an excellent catalog with lots of information on the types of
connectors, tools and color codes.

I repeat myself I WOULD NOT run both services in the same cable.  Your house
your rules.

Plan on spending at least $200 bucks for tools and terminals.  Just to get
started.