Re: Question on plugin files

Howdy,

>>1) Is it a requirement that the name of the plugin file match
>>the vendor portion of the <device> tag in that same file
>
> No - not technically anyway.
>
>>2) If no on #1, is it legal to have devices in a single file
>>from two or
>>more different vendors?
>
> xPLHal will handle devices from different vendors in the same file,
but
> I don't think this should be a recommended way of doing things.
>
> What's your own view on the best approach?

I'm moderately agnostic, though I think that the idea that only one vendors
devices being listed in a file (regardless of the file name) makes some
sense to me.  I'm not 100% how the plugin fetching stuff works in xPLHAL,
but it *seems* to be predicated that each vendor produces a single file
with
all their devices in it.  And that makes sense to me.

> One file per vendor, and only one vendor's devices in that file?
> Multiple files per vendor?

My vote would be one file per vendor and one vendor per file.  I really am
not too worried about the file name matching the vendor (though that might
make sense from a manageability standpoint).

There are a reasons for these goofy questions which I hope to get more into
soon :-)

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey