Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

RE: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

  • Subject: RE: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian.lowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:53:29 +0100

There's a need here for the version information to be in the xml file -

Developers will create new functionality in existing apps. If the xml
files describes the triggers and commands available for each version of
the app, it eases the process.

There's one xml file for each vendor, as you say, but each device is
broken out inside that file - in <device></device> - I don't
see a
reason why that can't become:

<device>
<1.23>
trigs etc for v1.23
</1.23>
<1.5>
trigs etc for v1.5
</1.5>
</device>

This way, the frontend apps can tell which features are available from
the combination of returned version and the vendor's xml file.

That, tbh, kinda leads itself to major/minor/revision numbering...

Major is a change in features,
Minor is an update that you *should* do as it contains bugfixes,
Revision is a minor change that you can update for.

>From what I can see on sourceforge, this numbering system is widely
adopted across a lot of different projects.

I'd say numbers only, as characters (like "b" or "rc"
etc) are human
readable, but not readily machine parseable.

Ian.