Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

Re: Too much for me -- was Re: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag

  • Subject: Re: Too much for me -- was Re: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag
  • From: Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 11:39:10 +0100

I'm sorry to hear you say that, Tony.  Your contibution to xPL has been
enormous, and will be sorely missed indeed.  Still, xPL is an interest,
not a living, and life's too short to devote your free time to something
you're not enjoying any more.  I hope one day that the fire may be
rekindled and you come back to the group, but if not, I want to wish you
good luck with whatever projects/interests you get involved with in the
future.

I have to say, though, that I don't think things in the xPL world are as
bleak as you paint them.  The recent discussions have all been with the
aim of improving xPL, to make it more accessible (cross-platform) and
user friendly (diagnostics, front-ends).  xPL is not perfect - and the
idea that it should be cast in stone is an impossible dream if it is to
remain useful and relevant.  The whole issue of device discovery is one
that shows a glaring hole in the protocol.  But no changes have been
agreed, and it's too early to say how it will all pan out in the end.
However, I don't expect a xAP style split to come from all of this.

Anyway, I've said my piece - I hope one day you will change your mind,
but I'm determined that whatever happens, xPL will carry one, even with
that huge Tony shaped hole in the midde of it.

Best Regards

Mal