RE: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)

  • Subject: RE: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:19:39 +0100

> Now I'm confused - what does the OSD client module do if not
> send xPL messages to OSD devices?

The osd module isn't a client module, it's a helper module ;-)

The xpl module provides all xpl functionality, no other module talks xpl

The path is:

Xpl->core->client and client->core->xpl

For a helper module like xplosd the communication goes:

Client->core->osd->core->xpl

But there can be other interfaces loaded too, so you also have a fork in
the
core where client messages can get sent to multiple protocols and messages
from multiple protocols can be delivered to a client...

The xplosd of course only talks to an xpl module

> I'm also not clear on the
> meaning of the line "and therefore could be switched off" -
> which device are you refering to being switched off?

xPL... As xpl is just an interface module, it doesn't have to be loaded...

i.e. xplmedianet will run just fine with or without xpl being available. If
the xpl module is disabled then all xpl funtionality is disabled

Regards
Tony