Re: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)

  • Subject: Re: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)
  • From: Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:04:59 +0100

Tony Tofts wrote:

> For xplmedianet the plan for videos was just to give the filename (no
> extension)

That poses a bit of a problem - in MediaPortal, the file extension is
used to determine the file type - and therefore what module to use to
play it back.  I'm sure there are many devices out there that support
more than one media format - how does the client distinguish them?

> > Playlists to me just mean a list of files.  If they happen to be
music
> > or video is neither here nor there - if a client can't play it
then it
> > should just skip.
>
> In xplmedianet it supports m3u palylists, but the client device isn't
> expected to know anything about it. The playlist source breaks it down
> into
> a list of tracks for the device.
>
> Playlists, for playlists read "current playlist", in
xplmedianet is
> the list
> of tracks queued (this is held at the client module level)

That sounds nice and simple - I can easily add my own queue in the
plugin, and bypass the MediaPortal playlists.

> When the client wants to send out status messages it creates them in a
> standard format, tells the core it wants to send the message, the core
> then
> passes the message to _all_ available interface modules that support
> messages, and the xpl module then sends it out.

Sounds like you have something like a private, internal xPL network
going on in there :-)

Mal