Re: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)

  • Subject: Re: xPL Readme.txt (more Questions!)
  • From: Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:57:40 +0100

Tony Tofts wrote:

> > xPL is just an interface module like any other (in fact it's
> > no different to the web interface)
>
> Just to clarify, xplmedianet will _not_ control a device via xpl (it
> allows
> a supported device to _be_ controlled)
>
> i.e. the only messages that are sent _out_ from xplmedianet are status
and
> trigger messages
>
> This isn't completely true, as modules such as xplosd send out
commands to
> osd devices.

The OSD approach is the kind of thing I'd envisaged for MediaPortal.  It
doesn't strictly require a server such as xPLMediaNet, but it would be
nice to still be able to control MediaPortal via xPLMediaNet - for
example to take advantage of the web interface.  With my plugin, it will
be possible to control MediaPortal as a stand-alone application via  xPL
messages.  To keep things as flexible as possible. it seems the best
approach for xPLMediaNet integration would be for me to then write a
second piece of code - an xPLMediaNet client module - that would control
MediaPortal with xPL messages (in the same way that the OSD modules send
their commands).

> But client modules cannot send anything other then status/trigger
messages

> A client module could have it's own xpl sender but this is highly
> discouraged, as xplmedianet doesn't need xpl to function and therefore
> could
> be switched off and therefore prevent the client module from
functioning
> correctly

Now I'm confused - what does the OSD client module do if not send xPL
messages to OSD devices? I'm also not clear on the meaning of the line
"and therefore could be switched off" - which device are you
refering to
being switched off?

Regards

Mal