RE: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...

  • Subject: RE: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...
  • From: "John B" <home-automation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:51:47 +0100

Hi Jack,

> Bruce told me at one time that I should seek to use the xPL
> or xAP interfaces. Mister House can easily interface with them both.
>
> So I hope xPL isn't limited, and that it CAN access the LPT port.
>
> My application is super-simple. Somebody who knows what
> they're doing should be able to write something is a few minutes.
>
> Anybody have any insite?

xPL is just a protocol (a means for one device to talk to another) and
any limitations are basically down to whatever language/environment you
use it with.

It should be reasonably straight-forward to write an xPL app that sends
bytes to the LPT port.

First question though: Which platform are we talking about? Windows?
Linux? Mac?

Thanks,

John