Re: Schema definitions -- a discussion

The schema definitions stuff isn't the same as xPL schema definitions.  It
defines the layout/format of another XML document.  So given a XSD, a XML
parser can read and XML file and validate it (insure it only has components
that are allowed) and it allows someone who wants to produce an XML to have
the tools to know what is valid and what is not in the XML.

So, in a way, what xPL schema documents (in XML format or plain text) does
is similar, but it describes xPL message contents instead of the contents
of
a different XML file.

I've worked with XSD stuff before for some standard compliant data
interchange and even written a small one for a standalone package
interface.
I really think it's not applicable to this situation.

However, you *could* use XSD to describe the XML file that defices xPL
schema (a confusing concept) -- just like there could be an DSB that
describes the contents of the xPL plugins files as the master xPL plugin
index file.

So, in short XSD is an XML file that describes the "layout" of
yet another
XML file.

Hope that makes sense :-)

Ian Lowe wrote:
> Okay, reading this a bit more.. It sounds like we have a hybrid of
XML/XSD
> here.
>
> XSD just seems to be W3C's version of a schema language - but it's
structure
> would seem to do what we want. It seems though that an XSD is used for
is
> checking whether an XML document conforms to the schema, rather than
the
> general usage we are looking for.
>
> There are VS tools (and I am guessing Java tools also) for handling
XML and