xPL Message tracking

Hi all,

One of the things I'd like to add to xPLHal is the ability for it to
monitor the xPL traffic levels - that way it can better respond to
network storms etc.
(currently a network storm of xPL packets will just cause xPLHal to use
up loads of memory as it tries to handle each and every individual
message)

As part of this work, I want to do things like track the total number of
processed xPL messages (sent and received) as well as detecting message
storms.

And now to my question:
Should this stuff go in xpllib, so it's available to any app that uses
it, or should it just go in xPLHal.

I was at least thinking of adding a total message count to xPLLib so you
could easily see how many messages your application had sent or received
during it's lifetime.

Anyone with any thoughts?

Regards,

John