Re: Look ma, no hub?

  • Subject: Re: Look ma, no hub?
  • From: Mark Hindess <xpl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:31:38 +0000

On 17 November 2005 at 20:09, "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> The hub method is a lowest common denominator which works perfectly
> well, and tbh, SPOF isn't really a factor where the typical home
> automation PC only has 1 NIC, 1 cable connecting to 1 switch, plugged
> into 1 mains supply ;)

I understand all of your comments except this one.  The hub is a SPOF
that I could do without.  I that makes it significantly different to the
other SPOF that you mention?

I still don't see why a hub should be mandatory.  All of the xPL apps
I will ever run on my machines will work without one, so why should
I have to run one.  You might ask how I know that they will all be
written to work like this?  Well, I don't.  However, I wont be running
any applications that I don't have the source for.  (At least not for
something as important as runnning my house.)  And if I have the source
then I can make them work without a hub.

I'm really in two minds about this myself but I think playing devil's
advocate might promote useful discussion.  Useful to me at least, sorry
if this is old ground for you.

Regards,
-Mark.