RE: Re: xplmedianet database

Hi guys,

> I have always used relational databases, so a flat file
> format is foreign to me.

Where did use of flat files come from? Did I miss something?

It's important to remember the work that SlimDevices are currently
undertaking - they're moving SlimServer to a database back-end, to give
them greater flexibility in querying their data and improving
performance for large libraries.

There should be no issues in developing a relational database that can
be hosted by Access, SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL etc.
Provided that some thought goes into the design process, and the queries
are suitably platform-neutral (i.e. don't use any MS-specific stuff)
then you should end up with support for a number of database back-ends.

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

John