Re: xPLMediaNet Seems to Work!

  • Subject: Re: xPLMediaNet Seems to Work!
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:01:54 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@x> wrote:
> > This is all very exciting :-)
>

> I would think the ISO mounting might be a utlity module (as it
could have
> other uses) and be controlled with it's own self-contained xpl
listener?

> If you can post exactly how it all works (e.g. I'm not sure if
vlan will be
> playing the file, or streaming it out) we can put a plan together?
>
> Regards
> Tony

I don't pretend to have a detailed grasp of the way this all works
yet - although it sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it,
and have it all nicely mapped out.  I expect it will all become
clear once I see a first release, and start working with it.

As for VideoLan, the VLC application has dual puposes.  It can
either act as a player (it's original purpose), or it can act as a
server (It has superceeded the VideoLan Server application in this
respect).  I get the feeling that there might have been an xPL/xAP
style split between the developers, with the VideoLan Client
developers extending their application to handle both client and
server roles.

Anyway, that means there will be at least two modules - a client
which can play movies on a PC, and a source which can provide a
unicast or multicast stream of movies or live TV.  It may be an idea
to split the functions into multiple sources - one handling
multicast live TV (e.g. from a Freeview card), and others handling
streams of pre-recorded movies.  For Video-on-demand, it appears
that a server is not needed (it just grabs it from a file share),
although some people might prefer the stream approach.

It depends on the details of how VideoLan works as a server - I've
only really looked at it as a client so far.

Mal