Re: xPLRioNet is Dead?, Long live xPLMediaNet? - xPLRioNet users please read!

----- Original Message -----
From: "UKHA" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] xPLRioNet is Dead?, Long live xPLMediaNet? -
xPLRioNet users please read!

> On 07/03/2005 at 10:28 Malcolm Lansell wrote:
>

>>I've decided to abandon the MVP - I'm fed up converting movies to
mpg
>>(which  takes my PC around 7 hours), and would also like to retain
the

> Transcoding... iirc xplrionet supports it... so you don;t have to..

Which means the server has an awful lot of work to do.  I would prefer a
player that can handle the format directly.

>>multichannel audio.
>
> There's a very simple hardware hack so that audio is passed directly
> out... take a look
> at www.shspvr.com
>
>>  I had installed Linux with the idea of rewriting the native MVP
>
> Rather than reinventing the wheel look at what other people have
already
> done:
>
> http://www.rst38.org.uk/mediamvp/
> http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main
> http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

I did look at what other people had done.  I wanted xPL integration, and
was
going to achieve this by extending the open source MVP Media Centre.

>>code, but to be honest, I hate working with Linux - it's like
stepping 10
>>years back in time, and you'd have to be blinded by a hatred of all
things
>>Microsoft to insist it was better than Windows.  But I digress.  By
the

> at the risk of starting a Linux Vs Windows flamewar... I have to
> disagree..
>
> You have to be blinded by continuous use of windows not to appreciate
> linux,
> particularly for something like this, a media server

Linux for an embedded system perhaps, but if I'm running on a full blown
PC,
I'm going with the easiest to use system, which for me is Windows.

>>time
>>I'd have got everything hooked up and working, the MVP would
probably be
>>obsolete anyway.  I banished Linux and have been looking for an
>>alternative media player.
>
> You should probably have gone out and got yourself a chipped xbox and
used
> XBMC http://xboxmediacenter.de/ - which
does everything you ask and more..

I have a chipped Xbox, running XBMC, and it is an excellent piece of
software.  But Xbox's are large, noisey and XBMC doesn't stream DVDs over
the network (as far as I'm aware).  I don't want to have to convert my DVDs
to XVid or DivX formats.

Mal