RE: xPLRioNet is Dead?, Long live xPLMediaNet? - xPLRioNet users please read!

  • Subject: RE: xPLRioNet is Dead?, Long live xPLMediaNet? - xPLRioNet users please read!
  • From: "UKHA" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:15:48 +0100

On 07/03/2005 at 09:49 Tony Tofts wrote:

>Hi Neil,
>
>> Personally I think it's a good idea,
>
>I agree it  _sounds_ like a good idea, not sure how much of a good idea
it
>will turn out to be though!
>
>I should know fairly quickly whether it's going to work or not though.
>
>> along with the name change ;)
>
>Yep
>
>> I also assume that with a core module, development of new
>> features and devices would be easier to write and implement?
>
>In theory yes. Within a set framework users with the necessary
knowledge
>can support there own devices.
>
>Regards
>Tony

Actually... What I'd like to see (probably to Mal's disgust ;) ) is
xplMediaCentre on an
embedded box that I can either store all my music, videos and pictures on
without the
need for Windows (Linux based, small compact CF boot ish type thing.)
and/or connect
to other boxes Windows, linux, whatever ... NAS, SAN - you name it :D

Take a look at geexbox http://geexbox.org/en/index.html
- it just needs to be poked and prodded a
bit since no screen output is required on the box itself - it's a server!

Don't get me wrong, I (obviously) use windows, I just think a
dedicated/embedded server box would work wonders...

IMHO of course

Andy